Colour pencils have a coloured pigment core surrounded by a protective casing of wood. A regular pencil has a graphite and clay core, whereas, a colour pencil has a core of wax, additives, binding agents and pigments. Oil-based, water-soluble and mechanical are a few types of colour pencils available.
Grades of colour pencils
There are mainly two grades of colour pencil, artist grade and student grade. Artist-grade pencils are created for professionals, therefore, have high-quality pigments in high concentrations. Said pencils have a durable core and are resistant to water.
Properties of Colour Pencils
Colour pencil drawings created with artist grade pencils are UV resistant, thereby protecting the artwork from deterioration. Student grade colour pencils are suitable for beginners, as they are erasable. Any colour mechanical pencil lead can be used with standard mechanical pencils.
Benefits of colour pencils
• Control: Colour pencils allow a great amount of control, since the same pencil can be used to create dramatic variances in colour. Varying pressure or repeated application allows creation of different gradients.
• Texture: A wide range of textures can be created using colour pencils, by varying shades, layering, and creating soft and sharp edges. Techniques of using colour pencils
• Stippling: First, draw dots that are close together, followed by dots with varying distances. Notice difference in dots created by a sharp or blunt colour pencil. Stippling is a great method to add texture to a colour pencil sketch.
• Back and forth stroke: This common technique is similar to what kids learn when colouring with crayons. Put your pencil on paper and draw in a continuous back and forth stroke. You can fill a solid colour in a drawing or enhance your skills of colour pencil shading.
• Scumbling: Create circular marks continually on paper, without pausing to lift the pencil. It is a great way of quickly creating colour pencil art, as surface is covered rapidly.
Doms colour pencils
Doms colour pencils are created using high-quality softwood, which is durable and easy to sharpen. Its colour lead contains superior pigments, which offer bright colours and an even texture. Their shelf life is significantly high. Additionally, the accurate bonding process which keeps their lead strong makes them the ideal choice for colour pencil art.
Doms Colour Long Pencils with Round Metal container costs Rs. 127.50. Doms Colour Pencils with Sharpener cost Rs. 85. Doms Mega Triangle Colour Pencils in 12 Assorted Shades are priced at Rs. 127.50 Doms Sketch Max 12 Water Colour Pens cost Rs. 25.50. Doms Zoom Premium Artist Grade Colour Pencils in 12 Assorted Shades cost Rs. 76.50. Doms Colour Pencils (set of 12) is priced at Rs. 42.50. Doms Aqua Water Colour Pencils (set of 12) costs Rs. 85. Doms Bi Colour Pencils Bright Colours costs Rs. 85.
Nataraj colour pencils
Nataraj, a leading stationery manufacturer offers a wide array of products that suit back to school purchases of every child. Said brand offers top notch colour pencils. They are easily erasable but also strongly pigmented, with a sturdy lead. These pencils meet international quality standards and can be used on any type of paper for creating vivid colour pencil drawings. We offer Nataraj Colour Pencils Full Size (set of 12) at Rs. 40.